One Forgotten Little Leaf

I was out on my Contemplative Walk and noticed a little leaf lying on the ground, one amongst hundreds. It is Autumn here in Scotland, close to Winter now in fact. The Contemplative tradition takes the Seasons seriously, as there are many things we can learn from the changing face of the world as it moves through the year. I wanted this little leaf to draw it later, which I did. As I drew the leaf, I became fascinated by the subtle shades of colours and the intricate array of markings, all on this otherwise forgotten little leaf.


Thoughts in my sketchbook
A thought occurred to me. This fallen little leaf, a forgotten little leaf among hundreds of others, was very special. A beautiful little jewel. How many times do we overlook the jewels all around us? How many people are like the leaf ? Forgotten, thrown away, discarded. Yet each and every one full of beauty and really very special. Dan Inosanto, a world famous martial artist, often talks about the jewels in the trash. What jewels do we throw out and overlook? What people in my life and your life have been thrown out and forgotten? Like this leaf, yet much more so, they are all intricate and beautiful and worthwhile.









 

Comments

Popular Posts